The cost of my weekly grocery bill seems to be increasing lately and in efforts to be economical while still eating well. I got some frozen Pacific mackerel by Orizon Foods, a 1lb bag cost $3.99. Mackerel can be often overlooked but this oily fish, is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin D and is low in mercury. Enjoy this healthy fish dish with some fluffy rice.
- 4-5 mackerel fillets
- 2 tbsp dashi miso paste
- 1 tbsp mirin sweet cooking seasoning
- ½ cup water
- Green onion
- Furikake seasoning
- Defrost mackerel the night before in the refrigerator.
- In small bowl mix the miso paste, mirin seasoning and water together.
- Simmer the mackerel in the sauce mixture for about 10- 15 minutes.
- Remove the fish and drizzle the remaining liquid on top.
- Garnish with green onion and furikake for extra bite. Serve with rice.